Sunday, May 4, 2014


So, this has easily been the craziest week of my life, never mind my mission.

Transfers happened. I'm in 금천 with an Elder named Elder Lee (who is a pretty sweet guy).
The place is nice, if anything because it's GREENER. There are TREES. WOOHOO!!! I'm pretty excited to work here. The Bishop and the Ward Mission Leader are kind of the more intense type of people, but I don't think that that will be too big of a problem.

 The view from my new apartment.

Anyways, I only really got to spend maybe two days there... Because of the thing that made the week actually crazy.

갑자기 수술! Surprise Surgery!

That was not fun. I'm fine, and the doctors are expecting a full recovery and that my vision will go back to normal eventually (except for maybe some astigmatism in the eye operated on). But the time spent in the hospital itself was not fun. I don't think any time spent in a hospital is ever really fun, but I've never had to be a patient in one until the past few days. Now I can really say that they're not fun.
All things considered, though, I really can't complain. The hospital that I went to (which is called Severance... it's got a nice ring to it, eh? SEVER-ance?) was SUPER high-class. That place was ENORMOUS, and I'm convinced that they have a centre for every part of every part of a human body. Seriously. Then there's the massive patient capacity. I got a room to myself. Think about this: In a city where the population density is really high, and this hospital is in the very heart of that city, and I still got a room to myself. I didn't see any multi-person rooms there. That's how big and high-quality this place was. The people in Japan (for heaven's sake) that heard about my case were going like, "Severance? Whoa, he's getting the best care!"

I also can't complain because I had a couple of hundred missionaries praying for me. If that doesn't save you, I don't know what would. On top of of them were, of course, family and friends. Thank you all so much, and know that I'm going to be just fine. And you can all chuckle at the image of  my possibly needing glasses for one eye... or a monocle. :P I don't know if I'll need glasses, but I don't know how much 2 diopters (did I spell that right?) makes a difference in one's vision. They said that my vision could change up to that much, because, y'know, that's what happens when you have a band around your eye. It gets squeezed into a slightly different shape.
No big.

If anything it's the stitches that drove me crazy for the first little while.
ANYWAYS, I'm in the mission home right now with President and Sister Morrise, two of the nicest people on the face of the planet. Elder Lee's here, too. This place is like a nice hotel. I'm just waiting to feel normal enough to go back out to work (which might be a while considering how woozy the medication makes me), but so far, I think I'm doing fine. My eye isn't oozing nearly as much yellow liquid as it did yesterday (and far less than it did the day before), and the eyeball is bound to go back to being white one of these days. I have a checkup appointment for the 12th so that the doctors can make sure that my retina is reattaching itself properly, but I know that it must be because the blind-spot is definitely not there anymore. At least, I don't see it anymore. I can't read with that eye yet, but I don't know if that's because I need to recover a little more, or if I need a monocle.

 Our room at the Mission home "hotel".

I'm doing great! I'm having fun with it, and definitely taking really good care of it. I'm following the doctor's instructions to the letter.

In other news, there was a surprise baptism too! I didn't go to it, but Elder Lee went with one of the Office Elders so that he could be there for it. It's a surprise baptism because the investigator suddenly had to go back to China and for some reason he might not be able to come back. Not because we surprised a guy by baptizing him suddenly.

Anyways, so this man got his interview, baptism and confirmation done in less than 24 hours. Not bad. He leaves for China today, so it was literally his last chance to get it all done. And I still don't know his name.

That's been my week. It hasn't even been a whole week since I started this transfer, but Elder Lee and I are already best buds just because of the ridiculous amount of crazy we just went through together. It's pretty great.

I feel like this transfer is going to be a great one. It's already off to a GREAT start :P

I love you all! Thank you again!

Elder Shaver

No comments:

Post a Comment