Sunday, August 3, 2014

Another good week!

We got a new investigator! His name is Edward, and he wants to learn English with us after he heard about us from a member of ours (who's name is 성경; the same word for 'Bible.' Ha!). I think this is the first member referral that I've gotten in my whole mission that we've actually been able to follow through with! It's a wonderful feeling.
We meet with him again this coming week to really get started on the 30/30 program.

We had this month's zone training meeting. It was fun (and didn't drag on for 3 hours). I got to meet our new zone. Elder Munk got transferred here, and I'm pretty stoked about it! Elder Munk's the man! With him here, there's three of my MTC district in my zone! It's great!

After zone training, I went on an exchange with Elder Williamson, our new zone leader. He helped me out a lot. He asked me what I want to work on, and so I told him, of course, that I wanted to work on opening my mouth more often on the street and to be less timid about sharing the gospel with strangers (yup, it's still a struggle). The first thing that he told me was that there is another missionary that he knows that has the same struggle as me, and that this missionary worries that he didn't do as well as he should have on his mission (this missionary is about to go home, so it's a big deal for him). Elder Williamson told me, though, that this missionary was good at a lot of other things and is still a successful missionary. I've heard it a dozen times by now, but it really stuck with me this time when Elder Williamson told me that I don't have to be good at street proselyting to be a good missionary. That definitely doesn't mean that I can't stop trying to get better at it, but it made me feel a bit better about it. I mean, if everyone is different, then it follows well that not everyone is going to be amazing on the street as a missionary. There are other strengths that those missionaries can take advantage of. It just makes sense.

But, we did spend the exchange just working on street proselyting, and Elder Williamson gave me a few pointers. It was nice, but it wore me out pretty quick.

One of the things that he told me was his paraphrasing of a section of PMG chapter 1: "Look at all of these people." (there were a LOT to look at) "They all need what we have. Just ponder that for a moment. Think about the people you look at. They all have a family that they probably love just as much as we love ours. A lot of them are probably wondering what the point and purpose of life is. We have all the answers that they're looking for and the answers to the questions that they might not have even thought of. Don't think about opening your mouth; instead, open your eyes." (this is definitely NOT verbatim, just so you all know).

How true is it, though? It's absolutely true. What we have has the power to change every person's life for their benefit. It just makes sense to share it.

Those are all of the big things from this week, though. Until next week!

Love you all!

Elder Shaver

No comments:

Post a Comment